- To define and distinguish the matters of managing healthcare in the future,
- To apply a rigorous approach to reap results,
- To translate and disseminate results into practice through face-to-face forums and education.
In a specialized and knowledge-driven world the medium matters to connect the dots between experts. That‘s why we invented a new format. Come and join us!
A mix of customized scientific analysis and hands-on implementation advice for global strategic endeavors. Examples are:
- Assessment of hand hygiene performance & prevalence of hospital acquired infections as well as medical errors,
- Evaluation of new medical devices and drugs,
- Design of management interventions to optimize care pathways and integration.
Practical forums that provide solutions how to organize people and employ resources on all levels. These include:
- The science level as platforms for knowledge exchange,
- The application of innovation in a pragmatic way,
- The ability to create models and systems of care delivery that allow for scalability across an international set of boundaries.
Tailormade workshops and executive training to implement strategies (certificate provided):
- We separate process from content and apply our format to a wide range of topics, even outside healthcare.
- Cast and involve opinion leaders in particular topics.
- Prestigious setting at the Columbia Global Center in Paris, on-site at your organization, or globally located.
The last quarter of 2018 brought a big change for us with the move of the Center’s European base to Paris. Much of our work has been in Central Europe and internationally and our forums have found a home at the Columbia Global Center in Paris.
In addition to our annual forums, we’re putting on a series of executive roundtable forums that are helping industry experts to understand their markets better. Topics (such as e-health, healthcare ventures, care coordination etc.) will lead up to our 8th annual business forum, to be held September 11-13 at the Columbia Global Center in Paris. Contact us to commission an executive roundtable forum, learn more about topics or apply for an invitation to our annual forum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annual business forums Executive roundtable forums
The Center’s 8th Business Forum “Money and people – the currencies of healthcare” will be held on September 11-13, 2019 at the Columbia University Global Center in Paris.
The Forum is designed for global executives in healthcare business and strategy to discuss the latest developments, challenges and opportunities shaping the industry. Working hand-in-hand with leading thinkers from around the world, the event provides attendees with an ideal forum for personal connections as well as rigorous analysis and foresight.
This year we will dedicate one entire day to “people” and healthcare professionals in particular and one day to “money” and finance in general.
The draft agenda is online.
Topics on day one relate to managing people, culture and innovation in healthcare:
- Culture eats strategy for lunch every day – the art and science of sustainable healthcare innovation
- Innovation Deep Dive: Cultural Sensitivity in an international context – the rule changer for drugs, devices and other innovations
- “From weed to medicine: how medical cannabis is shifting paradigms in medicine”
- Towards a unified definition of medical cannabis and its applications in Europe and beyond
- How can design thinking provide an approach to translate trends into practice? Human Centered Design in an Integrated System. The case of Kaiser Permanente. Get a sneak preview here (Day 2).
- What will the future shape of the healthcare workforce look like? How will roles & responsibilities change?
- What’s the continued impact of health information technology and artificial intelligence on healthcare organizations and employee engagement?
- Storm the brain before dinner: Teleconsultation as a future approach to care provision
Topics on day two relate to managing finance, culture and assets in healthcare:
- Trends in healthcare market investments
- Growth and operations – How to balance interests between shareholders and the constraints of a start-up reality
- Are ventures in healthcare the adventures of the future patient? The rising share of private equity in US medical groups and its impact on patient care
- Is private equity driving managerial decision-making?
- How will start-up investment strategies influence the ecosystem of healthcare provision?
- Once invested can we streamline process & drive excellence in healthcare? How organizational culture responds.
- Lean management and six sigma strategies in the daily life of healthcare – the case of professional culture.
- Again: does culture eat strategy for lunch every day? Why the perception of performance and the acceptance of compliance technology depend on national cultures and historical confidence.
- Money flows where incentives are high-powered and transparency is low. Are we paying for better care or carefully designed management tools?
- How can we learn cross-nationally in order to design a sustainable financial structure of a future healthcare system?
- Listening to the market: What are trends in market access, finance and drug pricing and how does policy impact implementation strategies?
- Innovation Deep Dive: Social innovation – towards a new financial model in healthcare
The Forum – now in its 8th year – has been conceived to help the world’s top healthcare executives seize the moment. Previous participants rave about the interactive, content-rich and personal experience:
Executives are invited personally and represent all stakeholder perspectives. The total number of participants is limited to ensure effective networking and matchmaking opportunities in a confidential setting. About 50% of participants join us from the United States, 40% from Europe and about 10% from Asia and the Middle East.
This is not a classical conference – our fans point out that it is a unique space for interaction of a range of different people from around the world who reconnect after the meeting and on an ongoing basis because the discussions they had at our forum lifted topics to a higher level. It is also the collegial environment and the ability to think freely that makes this forum different from the usual commercial ventures. At our forums we are “thinking together to reap results.” Please read about our past forums and contact us if you would like to join
Your individual forum/executive roundtable forums – get a taste of the Center’s approach
Can’t wait for the Center’s next Forum? We’ll come to your premises or pick a global location and design an executive roundtable forum for you, using our unique approach and methodology. Our in-house forums allow us to focus on specific issues related to your organization and explore current examples from your work environment. Contact us to commission your own executive roundtable forum.
The process that we have employed here in the Care-Tank allows us to be able to do a better job in identifying solutions that exist in major markets and that are applicable to other markets.
This forum offers the opportunity for me to bring some new ideas to the processes and methods that we would use as we begin to develop our strategic innovations that we want to embed within our company.
I think the forum provides a vehicle for the exchange of ideas and interaction which is both interesting and unique. It’s a much more interactive type of forum.
… Literally every time somebody opens their mouth here – it’s a good use of my time.
… But to have ideas articulated so well and so meaningfully and in such a short period of time – I think is really powerful.
Thank you for the tremendous hospitality. You did a great job at focusing the group. Please let me know if I can do anything to help you as we go forward and I appreciate the work that your Center for Health Care Management is doing.
The topics were very diverse, the agenda was very well put together, the panel discussions, the workshops have generated a lot of interesting discussions. Everybody is participating. It was a very valuable couple of days. I really enjoyed it. I’m very glad to be here. It was excellent.
This conference is a great opportunity to meet international experts with different backgrounds and discuss current, relevant topics; share experiences and develop new ideas for current and future business opportunities.
The exchange was fantastic, and I learned a great deal in just 2.5 days. What I found most useful is hearing the international perspectives on how to improve patient care and how to really move technology and systems all for the betterment of the people we serve.
I really enjoyed this conference for many reasons: the most because it is a very interesting group of people that have been brought together by Katharina and her team to share ideas across globally. And I liked the format, the way that we present some information and then sit down to really brainstorm about it to come up with some common ideas. I’m a big fan.
I liked most the special format of the forum: I was pleased to have so much dialogue and exchanges. It was very pleasant to experience that people are all very open, participating and authentic.
It’s really been a pleasure to meet thought leaders from all over the world and learn about what’s different in their health systems and also the common challenges we face. I learned a lot from others about ways they’ve found to tackle those challenges and things I can take home and apply in my work.
It was a really good mix of people in various fields and therefore, we had a very different conversation than the ones I have had in previous conferences.
The most exciting is that there are lots of senior management and leadership people coming from various industries. We contribute and we share experiences which gives people a very different perspective. So I am thrilled to be here, I’m really delighted to be here. It is way beyond my expectation.
This is the 6th forum that I have attended and I can’t say that there is one that I like better than another, but I love them all. What I get out of it is having so many different mindsets, skillsets, professions in the healthcare industry represented in the same room. There is no other meeting like this.
It is a great event where we can bring together different thinkers and leaders in healthcare and management and clinical work to share new ideas, build new relationships, and network. Although I work in a multinational it is for me a really good opportunity to work with people from very different backgrounds and even more diverse backgrounds that I would often even get at my workplace. So that opportunity for diverse thinking among diverse people is the key reason why I like to come to any of these events.
The unique thing about the forum is that it draws together senior physicians, clinicians, executives and industry. That’s not a diverse set of opinions that you get involved in very often. To be able to talk about things that are globally applied but with that industry audience is something I have not experienced before.
The most interesting part was to meet people with such different backgrounds from different companies, organizations and different skills. And I learned a lot about healthcare management because I’m from the operating part of the business and that was really enlightening for me.
This meeting was very interesting because we created new relationships between different countries and we have different perspectives about topics which are relevant now and probably also in the future for healthcare management. Thanks to Katharina Janus and all the team.
What I enjoyed the most is a comfortable, safe place for the free exchange of ideas amongst a diverse group of people with deep experience and vast knowledge in healthcare.
The diversity of experience, the different countries we’ve got, the diversity of topics going from how does the French health system work and what pilots they are looking at, to hand hygiene technology, and how to get employees to change how they think about technology.
This is the event for high-level content and a great exchange with other stakeholders in the healthcare industry.
I really enjoyed the interaction with the group and meeting very interesting, fascinating people who are all very passionate about healthcare and making sure that we exchange ideas so that we can make improvements to how we provide healthcare – whether it is in the US, in Europe, Asia or the Middle East. It is a wonderful place to collaborate and to learn about newly emerging ideas in healthcare.
The ability to dig into some other areas of healthcare was very interesting for me and it is always a result of great organization, a great mix of people, location – so very happy with the conference.
It was an excellent forum for exchange amongst different health care professionals from around the world. The exchange and discussions were highly insightful and brought together different industry perspectives and latest trends in healthcare management. I truly enjoyed the healthcare forum.
We provide tailor-made workshops and executive education at our base in Paris which grew out of our forums and well appreciated interactive format and methodologies. We aimed at creating an innovative approach to training and education that is based on actual case studies and strategy of the respective organization while simultaneously offering management tools and out-of-the-box-thinking. This adaptive and flexible approach is resonating well with executives from around the world who we have had the pleasure to welcome at the Columbia Global Center in Paris.
Our education programs can also be delivered on your premises, online through our education platform or in the form of strategy retreats. They are designed according to your organization’s needs and strategic purposes.
- We offer a range of courses related to macro-level healthcare market phenomena as well as micro-level management classes.
- Modules include an overview of a particular or several markets and sessions on management tools.
- The core piece can be related to and based on your strategy or strategic change. We develop it jointly and will use your business case to get the message to your people.
- If desired your program can include a Columbia University certificate. Contact us to discuss details and to receive an overview of sample classes.